Sunday, June 13, 2010

Geologist #4: List some Geologic Materials Used in Building Your Home

My mom and I did a skavinger hunt with her camera to find things for this one. My mom is going to type the rest becaus i don't like big words. I took all the pictures though. Here is what we found:

The metal posts in our (very mess, please ignore that!) basement are iron, which comes from hematite.
The pipes which carry water to our house are made out of copper, which comes from malachite.

Our furnace is made out of sheet metal, which is zinc and comes from sphalerite.


Our side door is aluminum, which comes from bauxite.

Our windows are made of glass, which comes from quartz. Our cat is Harriet and she does not.

Our foundation is made of concrete, which comes from limestone.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know any of this!! I'm so impressed! I guess I always just thought someone, somewhere knows this information and I just don't have to! Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Your cat is very pretty--she looks like she's posing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well i have 3 cats named hanna, harriet who was on that photo and the youngest jone.

    ReplyDelete